Sunday, March 2, 2008

still searching...


One of the first things I baked (once I graduated from the boxed brownie mix) were thumbprint cookies. I remember those preserve-filled gems as rich and buttery, tangy and sweet from the filing, and nutty from their walnut coating. Unfortunately I misplaced the recipe a few years ago and have been searching for an equivalent one since. I tried this one from epicurious.com. Though it was alright, the cookies were a bit sandy and didn't have quite the moistness I wanted. Alas, I am still searching.

I made half the batch with strawberry and blackberry preserve, and drizzled a simple glaze over them. The other half I rolled first in egg white and then in finely chopped pecans and filled with Bon Mama's chestnut spread.

Thumbprint Cookies
yields 20 cookies

Cookies:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
pinch salt
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
preserve or jam of your preference

Glaze:
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tsp milk or water

Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add in egg yolk and mix. Stir in flour and salt until dough comes together. Roll dough into little balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place upon greased cookie sheet (I lined my pan with foil), and make a thumbprint in the center, being careful to not press all the way through to the bottom. Fill with preserve. Bake in a 350 degrees preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes.

To make glaze, simply combine confectionary sugar and milk. The glaze should be milky white, rather thick but still thin enough to drizzle.

Once cookies have cooled slightly, drizzle with glaze. Eat and enjoy.

No comments: