Friday, June 19, 2009



I can't believe I've never made rice krispie treats before. I've only had the prepackaged ones with the shiny blue wrapper and the little people in pointed hats. When bakeries carry housemade ones, they normally don't call out to me. I would be much more drawn toward the vibrant fruit tarts and luscious cakes.

D. asked me to make something for the banquet, so I went with this universally agreeable treat. Using the classic Kellogg recipe as a starting point, I played with the flavors, adding salt, peanut butter, and white chocolate. It was an easy recipe, made on the stovetop in one pot. I was tempted to eat it warm, standing by the stove, pulling off sticky clusters, and watching the marshmallow strands stretch to iridiscent strings.


Rice Krispie Treats

3 tbsp butter, unsalted
10 ounce bag marshmallow (snipe the regular ones in half, or use mini)
6 cups rice krispies
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
melted white chocolate to drizzle on top

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add in marshmallow and peanut butter. Stir constantly until completely melted. Add in salt. Remove from heat. Add in rice krispies and stir until well coated.

Scrap into a 13x9 pan that has been either sprayed with oil or lined with parchment paper. Press down and smooth the top. Let cool and drizzle with white chocolate.

No comments: