Wednesday, August 5, 2009


I've tried and failed at making lemon bars a few times before. Maybe because I was trying to find shortcuts or make 1/8 what the recipe calls for. The crust was always good, but the filling had none of the delicious gooey tartness that I love in lemon bars. During my last day at home, I finally made a batch (well, half batch) and while it's not perfect, it's pretty good.

I like my lemon bars tart, but if you like them sweeter, feel free to add more sugar to the filling or the crust. And please, use real lemon juice. The bottled stuff just doesn't cut it.



Lemon Bar

Base:
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup flour
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
zest of 1 lemon

Filling:
2 eggs
2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine melted butter, flour, confectioners' sugar, and lemon zest to make the crust. Press into the bottom of a lined and greased 8x8 pan, making sure that it is even. Bake at a 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes. It should be barely golden.

To make filling, combine eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat to get all the lumps out. Pour into baked crust and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes. The tops will be set and may be cracked. Let cool completely to facilitate cutting. Dust with powdered sugar.

2 comments:

Ben said...

i thought they were perfect. i want more.

Ag said...

I want lemon bars too!
I'm so glad you're back to posting! :)